In 1831, then Governor of The Bahamas, Sir James Carmichael Smyth, created villages where Africans, upon disembarking from slave ships, were sent to start new lives. One of these villages was named after the Dowager Queen of William IV, Adelaide.
Its first settlers were enslaved Africans captured by the British Royal Navy from the Portuguese vessel 'Rosa' in 1831 and 157 Africans were transported to this area. The Africans were expected to build their own living quarters and created huts out of limestone or wood with thatched roofs from palmetto leaves.
Today, the small community of Adelaide, with its narrow streets, sits placidly on the Southwestern coast of New Providence. It is a remnant of another era, and has maintained its individuality, uniqueness, and timelessness.
The village is a lovely, secluded spot for fishing and swimming, and has several interesting historical sites, including the St. James Anglican Church, which was built in the 1830's out of sand, limestone, and rock.