This mansion, built in the 1860s, was home to the first Chief Justice of The Bahamas, Williams Henry Doyle. He was also the first Bahamian to be knighted in 1874. The building was sold several times and one of the owners was Sir Walter K. Moore, who in 1924 was President of the Legislative Council. Upon his death, Sir Walter Moore left the property to the trustees of Trinity Methodist Church. It was later sold to Baroness Von Hoyningen Huene (the former Nancy Oakes). An article in The Nassau Guardian of October 21, 1978 stated that the Baroness sold Villa Doyle to Mr. Keith Aranha.

The building was acquired by the government of The Bahamas in the 1990s, and has been restored as The National Art Gallery of The Bahamas (NAGB).

Location:
West & West Hill Streets
Nassau
Bahamas
Contact Information:
Ms. Erica M. James
(242) 328-5800
info@nagb.org.bs
Toll für...