house

This lighthouse was originally built in 1852 as a showpiece for the Great London Exposition. Shortly afterwards, it was disassembled then transported to Great Isaac Cay at the northern end of the Bimini archipelago. The reconstruction was completed in 1859, and it now serves a more practical purpose, guiding ships that travel through the Northwest Providence Channel. The white cast-iron tower reaches some 152 feet in the air, with a light that flashes every 15 seconds and is visible 23 nautical miles away.

Several ghosts are claimed to haunt the lighthouse. Legend has it that a British supply ship wrecked just offshore during the lighthouse's construction, and all the crew survived except one young boy, who was consumed by sharks. Witnesses claim to have seen the ghost of the boy around the premises. In the late 19th century, another local shipwreck produced only one infant survivor. The spirit of the child's mother, known as "The Grey Lady," supposedly still roams Bimini and wails at full moons. Then, in 1969, the lighthouse's two keepers mysteriously disappeared without a trace, leaving the tower, cistern, keepers' quarters, and associated buildings to fall into disrepair.

The government automated the lighthouse in the mid-1970s, and it has remained unmanned ever since. The grounds are open to the public, but there is no access to the interior of the structure.

Location:
Great Isaac Cay
North Bimini
Bahamas
Contact Information:
Antiquities Monuments & Museums Corporation
(242) 326-2566
(242) 323-1925
(242) 323-1928
(242) 356-3977
Toll für...