163 above sea level

Built in 1887 on a former plantation owned by John Dixon, this lighthouse is still occupied and operated by lighthouse keepers who refuel the 400,000 candle powered lighthouse by hand every 2 hours and 15 minutes. It stands 163 feet above sea level, with a visibility of 19 miles, and is one of the most visited landmarks on the Island. It is one of the few remaining manually-operated lighthouses in the world and one of only three of its type in The Bahamas.

Back view from the top Back view from the top
Front view from the toop Front view from the toop
Location:
Off Queen's Highway
United Estates
Bahamas
Contact Information:
Mr. Dave Black or San Salvador Tourist Office
(242) 331-2227 or (242) 331-1928/9
ssmajor@bahamas.com