Built by Lord Dunmore as a summer residence between 1787 and 1796, the original Hermitage stood on property extending from the West boundary of Stanley, east to Dick's Point. The house was subsequently purchased by a Mr. Whylly who sold the house to a Mr. Dames. It was later owned by a Mr. T. Darling and in the 1880's by an English lady, a Miss Stuart. It was purchased in 1932 by His Eminence Cardinal William O'Connel, Archbishop of Boston, who bequeathed it to the Catholic Diocese of Nassau. It is now the residence of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Nassau.

The mansion, the greater part of which was built between 1918 and 1922, comprises a large drawing room, a dining room, six bedrooms and three bathrooms. Connected with the main house is a servants' house made of Bermuda stone, comprising the kitchen and storerooms. The whole house is a combination of Bermuda stone, cement and native hardwood. (Information courtesy of the Department of Archives.)

Location:
East Bay Street
Nassau New Providence
Bahamas
Idéal pour ...