Fox Hill is one of the oldest Bahamian villages in The Bahamas and its residents are called "Fox Hillians." The township's name is derived from Samuel Fox, an Enslaved African who was freed and granted 23.5 acres of land at Creek Village in 1801. The original settlement had concentrations of residents or small pockets of people of African origin scattered over a large portion of the area. They were originally from the Yoruba, Nango, Congo and Ebo Tribes of Africa.

Several heritage sites in the area reflect the culture of the entire Bahamas. The Fox Hill Parade Grounds, historically a burial ground, was later converted to a site where the villagers held celebrations. It is archived as the place where Enslaved Africans gathered after they heard about Emancipation. Black Beard's Tower is known to be one of the stations belonging to the notorious pirate Edward 'Blackbeard' Teach. Congo Town is where the last captured ship with Enslaved Africans discharged its load of Congoes in New Providence on July 28, 1860.

Fox Hill, more than any other village in The Bahamas, has held on to its rich African heritage and culture. Every year Fox Hillians celebrate the 1838 emancipation of their ancestors from slavery by the British on "Fox Hill Day" (second Tuesday in August) with church services, Bahamian food and drinks, singing, and dancing. A Fox Hill Heritage Tour includes visits to all the related heritage sites.

Location:

Fox Hill

Nassau
Nassau & Paradise Island
Contact Information:
(242) 364-8310
Great for...