Originally named “Yuma” by Arawak Indians, the island was renamed “Fernandina” by Christopher Columbus in 1492. However, Long Island earned its current name because a seafarer felt it took too long to sail past the island. After all, it is 80 miles long, but no more than four miles wide at its broadest point. The Tropic of Cancer runs directly through the island, giving it two very different coastlines—the dramatic cliffs and caves of the east coast that front the crashing Atlantic waves, and the sandy edged lee side which slopes calmly into the Bahamas Bank. Here you’ll find Dean’s Blue Hole, historic twin churches built in the 1800s and one of the largest caves in The Bahamas.
Enclosed on three sides by natural rock and the fourth by a turquoise lagoon and white-sand beach, it is 80 x 120 feet (25 x 35m) wide on the surface and 330 feet (100m) wide at 60 feet (20m) down.
Divided by the Tropic of Cancer and a towering spine of ancient reef, the dramatic cliffs and caves of the east coast front the crashing Atlantic waves, and the soft, sandy-edged lee side slopes calmly into the Bahamas Bank.
One of the largest caves in The Bahamas, this ancient cave system has passages 50 feet wide and a ceiling over 10 feet high. Artifacts and cave drawings from the Lucayan Indian tribe were discovered here in 1935.
Two churches in Clarence Town, credited to Father Jerome Hawes, have a similar appearance with twin towers. St. Paul's Church was built when he was Anglican. St. Peter's & St. Paul's Church was designed after he became Roman Catholic.