Opened at the time of The Bahamas' Independence on July 10, 1973, the Nassau Botanical Gardens provide a tranquil retreat for nature-loving residents and visitors. It features 18 acres of tropical flora covering over 600 species, including the Bahamas national flower, the Yellow Elder. Once known as the pit, these gardens were an old rock quarry supplying stones for roadways and the building of Fort Charlotte. The idea for the gardens was conceived in 1951 by Mr. Oris Russell of the Ministry of Agriculture.
Ministry of Agriculture & Marine Resources
P.O. Box N-3028
Nassau & Paradise Island