The Deanery House
Area: 
Downtown Nassau
City: 
Nassau
Address: 

Cumberland Street

Primary Contact: 
-
Phone: 
-
Fax: 
Email: 

Overview

The Deanery, perhaps the oldest residence in The Bahamas, was acquired by the Anglican Church authorities in 1800 but is believed to have been built about 1710. The house is of three storeys and is built of stone with chamfered quoins. Verandas of three tiers were originally carried around the east, west, and north sides; the north side faces the sea. Originally there were three rooms in each of the two lower storeys and four in the third storey. Certain renovations have taken place but the basic structure of the house remains unchanged. The kitchen with its fireplace and domed brick oven originally occupied a separate building which still stands. At the north end of the outhouse which was known as the Slaves' quarters there are loopholes in lieu of windows in its western and northern walls.Information courtesy of the Department of Archives

Map

Bahamas Winter Warm Up Video Contest

Win a 4 Day/3 Night trip at Turquoise Cay boutique hotel to The Exumas in The Islands Of The Bahamas