Home / Things To Do/

Jacaranda House

Jacaranda House

Jacaranda House is a stately homebuilt in the 1840s by then Chief Justice, Sir George Anderson. When a ship pulled into Nassau Harbor with a load of stones from Georgia, it was not surprising that Chief Justice Sir George Anderson went down to the dock and purchased the stones for inclusion in his new home because in those days it was common practice to use those ballast stones for building purposes. In the months that followed, the house slowly came into being at the northwest corner of Parliament and East Hill Streets.

Jacaranda is owned by the estate of the late Sir Harry Oakes. It has had a series of owners and a series of names. It has been enlarged and remodeled and modernized, but it remains basically the same today as it was over 100 years ago.

The house, first known as Anderson House, passed from the Anderson family to the Williams family, then to the Miller family around the turn of the century. As the years passed, its name changed from Anderson House to Everton House to Jacaranda but to some, it is known as the Old Miller Place. Mr. William Miller, who married Maud Williams, was Surveyor General of The Bahamas at the time.

In 1944 the house passed for a short time back into the Anderson family when it was purchased by Sidney Farrington, great nephew of George Anderson, and his sisters. During World War II Captain Vyvian Drury, who came to The Bahamas as ADC to the Duke of Windsor, purchased the house and it was Captain Drury who began the first extensive renovations.

The late Eunice, Lady Oakes, purchased the property in 1949. In 1965 the owners added the guest house and the pool. It was their intention to make the guest house resemble as much as possible the kitchen and it was modeled after the kitchen house at the East Hill Club.

View Map Visit Official Website
Patricia Leigh-Wood

Email: jacarandanassau@gmail.com

Parliament Street