The 43rd Regatta Time in The Abacos (RTIA) is fast approaching and excitement is steadily building for the week-long event held from June 24 – July 3, 2018.
The event, which begins in South Abaco and ends in North Abaco, gives visitors a chance to experience different cays in The Abacos.
Every year, this much-anticipated event attracts up to 1,400 people and RTIA Coordinator Ruth Saunders said it’s a huge attraction.
“The impact of this event in Abaco is overwhelming. It’s one of the biggest attractions that we have for tourism in Abaco. It brings anywhere from 500 – 1,400 people to visit and to sail The Abacos during the months of June and July.
It goes from cay to cay and on to the mainland which benefits all areas of Abaco,” she said.
Unlike most of the regattas around The Islands of The Bahamas, The Abacos Regatta extends for nine days, impacting different communities and ends with the most anticipated party of the year – the Cheeseburger party, which is the largest beach party in The Bahamas.
Wynsome Ferguson, manager of the Abaco Tourist Office, said the annual regatta has fostered the growth of boating on the island.
“We at the Abaco Tourist Office, recognize that this is more than a regatta to our destination and appreciate the partnership with the organizing committee and the business community in marketing the diversity of our product. This event has facilitated the growth of our boating niche and served as a catalyst to encouraging business during the summer months when many other warm weather destinations are competing for the very same customers,” Ferguson said.
The schedule is as follows:
- June 24th: The regatta begins at Pete’s Pub in Little Harbour
- June 25th: Skippers Meeting at the Abaco Inn in Hope Town
- June 26th : Race One begins and the first awards and party are held at Hope Town Inn and Marina
- June 27th: The party is moved to the mainland with a party at Snappa’s Bar & Grill in Marsh Harbour
- June 28th: The second race begins leaving Marsh Harbour and ending at Guana with a party being held at Guana Grabbers
- June 29th: A party will be held at Grabbers
- June 30th: Race number 3 will begin at Guana Cay ending at Treasure Cay with an awards and party at Coco Beach Bar
- July 1st – Lay day
- July 2nd - The final race is to Green Turtle Cay with the final awards party being held at Bluff House
- July 3rd - Cheeseburger party on Fiddle Cay, Green Turtle Cay.
Interested persons can visit https://www.bahamas.com/islands/abacos.
MEDIA CONTACT: Dawn Demeritte | Senior Executive, Communications | Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation | firstname.lastname@example.org