Tips for Safely Enjoying Vacation on Land and Sea from the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism and Aviation
The Islands Of The Bahamas feature 700 islands and cays stretched across 100,000 square miles of the most beautiful water in the world. Located just 55 miles off the coast of Florida, and with numerous islands from which to choose, The Bahamas is a convenient and ideal Caribbean getaway whether visitors are seeking the high-end resorts and festivities of Nassau and Paradise Island or the untouched beaches and tranquility of the Out Islands.
When making the most of their vacations and soaking in the sun, sand and sea, travelers should exercise the same basic precautions that they would at home. As the safety and enjoyment of our visitors is of paramount importance, we recommend the following tips for visitors to observe:
- Maintain awareness of your surroundings and valuables when in public areas, beaches and pools, as you would at home.
- Only accept rides from licensed operators on land and sea, including taxis and water craft operators, such as water taxis, jet skis, banana boats, speedboats, etc.
- Enjoy the sun but use sunscreen, take breaks and hydrate with non-alcoholic beverages to avoid heat stroke.
- Do not swim alone and use caution if you choose to swim during early morning or after dusk.
- If you have medical issues that may affect your ability to participate in strenuous excursions, please consider before diving in.
- When booking an excursion, work directly with your hotel or travel provider to find a trusted tour operator. It is not recommended to work with individuals who may approach you on the beach or street.
- The purchase and usage of marijuana is illegal and enforced with strict penalties