The British Imperial Lighthouse Service built this candy-striped lighthouse to mark the Elbow Reef during the 1860's. Hope Townees at the time resented this and opposed the project, as they saw it as a threat to their wrecking trade. They went as far as to sink a barge being used to transport building materials. Despite their sabotage efforts, the lighthouse near Hope Town went into operation in 1863. Primitive artifacts and relics of the Wrecker's Days can be seen at Wyannie Malone Historical Museum in Hope Town.
The lighthouse stands at 89 feet, with 101 steps, and is one of only two remaining beacons saved from automation (which is vigorously opposed by residents). Extraordinary efforts are undertaken by the locals to secure the parts for the kerosene-burning apparatus of the light, most of which are no longer manufactured. An image of this lighthouse is featured on the Bahamian $10 bill. Visitors are free to visit the lighthouse in Elbow Cay and drink in an amazing panoramic view. Together with the village's neat rows of gingerbread cottages painted varying pastel shades, it gives this settlement plenty of charm.