Visitors enjoying the view from The Lighthouse Tower in Duncan Town, Ragged Island, The Bahamas.

The stairs leading up to The Lighthouse Tower.

Completed on May 31, 1922, the Lighthouse Tower was built to aid Ragged Island boats in transporting goods traded with Cuba, Haiti and Nassau. It featured a wooden mast that stood about eight feet high, with a hook for a lantern at the top; it was visible from the western side only when in the harbor. Local sailors referred to it as "an old guidance stick" because it helped those at sea to find home.

A storm has since split the wooden mast into two pieces, as seen in the top image, rendering it useless as a guide today. All it offers now is a scenic view of the island from the top of the concrete staircase.
Location:
Wilson Estate
Duncan Town
Bahamas
Contact Information:
Administrator's Office
(242) 344-1508
Great for...