The buildings in Parliament Square were constructed in 1815 by the Loyalists. They are modeled after buildings that are found in New Bern, the old capital of North Carolina. These flamingo-pink government buildings are excellent examples of the colonial architecture of old Nassau. The building to the right is the House of Assembly where parliamentary meetings are held.
The Senate meets upstairs in the center building and the building to the left houses the office of the Leader of the Opposition. Queen Victoria's Statue, erected in 1905 from funds donated by the public who held her in high esteem, is in the front of the Senate building.
Located at the back of the Senate building is the Supreme Court which occupied this present building since 1921. This is where quarterly sessions of the Bahamas Superior Court and sessions of The Court of Appeal sit. Judges and lawyers are dressed in traditional British wigs and robes.