In the early nineteenth century, Methodist Missionaries arrived in Rock Sound and built a Manse in the centre of the settlement to be used as a place for teaching and mentoring the inhabitants of South Eleuthera. It was customary for the Manse to be referred to as 'The Mission House'. In the 1940's, however, the highly acclaimed U.S. businessman, Arthur Vining Davis, converted it into a medical clinic for the people of Eleuthera. After petitioning the Government, the people of South Eleuthera were granted use of the building and began raising funds for its refurbishment.
The original purpose of the mission is still upheld today. The facility houses a museum and library dedicated to enriching the lives of people in the area and it is available for use by the entire community. Visitors to the area will be interested in the cultural memorabilia depicting how people of the area lived in the past. The primary source of funding is likely to remain from donations.