The Holy Name parish story begins in 1938 when John Levarity of Bimini was in Nassau and met Father Paul Leonard Hagarty, OSB, a Benedictine monk, who was working in The Bahamas. Mr. Levarity and Father Hagarty got along well and he told the priest that he wanted to become a Catholic and that he would establish a Catholic community on Bimini. Father Hagarty told Mr. Levarity to go back to Bimini and form a community and when he did so he was to let Father Hagarty know and he would come celebrate Mass and initiate the new Catholic parish. Mr. Levarity came back to Bimini and with his wife, Rosa, began to gather his family and friends into a small Catholic congregation on the island.

On January 19,1941, Fr. Bonaventure Hansen, OSB celebrated the first Mass in Bimini in a make-shift chapel, and on January 21 the parish began with the baptism of nearly 20 people. By 1946, a small church was built after a design by Monsignor Jerome Hawes, the "hermit of Cat Island." Stephen Donahue, auxiliary bishop of New York City, came to Bimini to dedicate the church. In time the church was simply too small and in 1988 the current structure was dedicated by Bishop Lawrence Burke, SJ, Bishop of Nassau. In 1951, Father Hagarty was appointed bishop of the then missionary territory of The Bahamas, and in 1960 became the first bishop of the newly erected Diocese of Nassau. Bishop Hagerty was also named an Officer of The Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II.

Worship Services: Saturday 7:00 p.m. and Sunday 9:00 a.m. Devotions on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.

Queen's Highway
Bailey Town, North Bimini
Contact Information:
Mr. Michael Checkley, Parish Administrator
(242) 473-1252
Great for...