It’s five o’clock somewhere, is what I’m always thinking when I consume an alcoholic beverage before the sun sets, imagine if I was on vacation? So it’s only natural for tourists to want to try all the Bahamian rums, beers and catch a few specials while they’re at it.
- Bahama Grill – Admittedly, I go for the food and wander into the happy hour. Happy hour runs from 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. and includes most rums and wine excluding the top-shelf rums. Top-shelf rum can be purchased for half price if you require a richer taste in your mixed drinks. Tip: If drinking makes you hungry, they serve a delicious conch patty and mouthwatering ribs.
- Pearl Island - If you enjoy staring at beautiful waters and watching the sunset as you sip a Bahamian brew then you belong on Pearl Island on a Friday. Fifteen dollars per person, round trip and $3 beers and $4 cocktails on sale on the boat, you’re prepped for the night on paradise you’ll be sure to enjoy. Tip: No outside food or drinks are allowed but don’t leave without having a bowl of conch salad.
- The Underground Bistro Bar – Bahamians remember this as the old drop-off which apparently never closed. But to tourists, it’s one of the best hole in the walls in the downtown area with great happy hour prices and friendly bartenders. Happy Hour runs from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. and draught beers are $3, bottled beers are 3 for $7.50, mixed drinks are $5 and house wines are $5 per glass. Bahamian-made vodka martinis and mixed drinks are also $5. If it’s been one of those weeks and I am not judging you, Fireball shots are 4 for $10. Tip: Ask for a bucket and sample all of our Bahamian brews, you probably won’t remember much other than you had a good time.
- LifeStylez Bar & Lounge at Bacardi – Nowhere boasts of a happy hour from Wednesday – Sunday like LifeStylez. Perched on the top of the Bacardi Store, their happy hour runs from 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. with 50 cents wings, $3 shots – buy two get one free and $6 cocktails, you won’t need to go anywhere else except to bed when you’re done. Tip: Go for the wings, they’re worth breaking your vacation diet for.
- Via Caffe – Located in the heart of downtown, Via offers a comfortable yet sophisticated atmosphere to relax and share a few cocktails with friends. Although their selection for happy hour is very limited, the drinks are worth every penny. Happy Hour runs on Friday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m and is limited to martini and margarita’s which are $6. Tip: If people watching is your thing, opt to sit on the patio – you’ll never get bored.